WHAT CAN I DO?
"If every American home replaced just 5 high use incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescents, each family would save more than $60 every year in energy costs. Together we'd keep more than one trillion pounds of greenhouse gases out of our air - equal to the emissions of 8 million cars. That's a $6 billion energy savings for Americans, equivalent to the annual output of more than 21 power plants."
1. Eliminate one meat meal a week.
2. Buy locally produced food, farmers markets.
3. Eat eco-friendly fish, abundant in the seas and low in mercury.
Learn more here
4. Buy Energy Star appliances and products.
5. Use compact fluorescent bulbs (CFL)
6. Adjust thermostat 2 deg. (up in summer, down in winter)
7. Insulate and weather strip
Want to know more about how to save energy and $$$, click here
8. Drive less – walk, bike, carpool, use public transport location when feasible.
9. Increase miles per gallon (mpg) – keep car tuned up and tires inflated to recommended pressure; make you next car a hybrid.
10. Support increased taxes on diesel fuel & gasoline
More here on transportation and energy
11. Plant trees
12. Use native plants, eliminate pesticides,
13. Embrace simple living, reuse, recycle, reduce waste
14. Learn more, get involved, spread the word.
What can you do in general to keep the earth green, here
Take the 321 pledge, replace 3 incandescent bulbs with 3 cfls, Adjust the thermometer 2 degrees, drive 1 mile per hour less than the speed limit.
List inspired by: www.turnthetide.org Program of Center for the New American Dream
www.davidsuzuki.org (Join the Nature Challenge)
Personal practices of the Unitarian Universalist 2006 Statement of Conscience on Global Warming/Climate Change.